Tuesday, September 19, 2006

When setbacks become leaps forward

Thanks to everyone who left a note or a link. I pledge to visit all the blogs which were suggested. Who knows, someday I may even update my blogroll. I know, don't go crazy all in one week, Shawna. I'll pace myself.

So, I had what seemed to be a setback this weekend. I had a draft of my pilot script, which I had given out to trusted advisor to read. The trusted advisor (okay, okay, it was my sister -- but she's brutal with notes!) felt there was something missing from this draft. I pitched her my potential changes for the next draft, which solved most of the problems but, we both came to the same realization.

I was telling the wrong story.

It's frustrating to get through a couple of drafts of something and know you aren't quite hitting the mark. It's even more frustrating when you realize you aren't hitting the mark because you aren't telling the right story. Basically I need to re-outline, re-tool and re-write. And this is no 'bump and adjust' rewrite. This is PAGE ONE REWRITE. The horror!

I know in my heart that this is what I have to do. And I know the script will be better for it. The pain comes when I think about the task ahead.

It's the good pain, the pain the helps us grow. I just wish I had a few painkillers around...

3 comments:

Systemaddict said...

Aw- page one rewrites are never fun...until you're finished. I think you'll have an awesome story when all is said and done.

You've built a great world for your characters and audiences to experiance.

Look forward to seeing it.

James

Chesher Cat said...

Having recently finished my page one rewrite - a feature - I can honestly say, I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

I am catching up on my blog-reading today (against all common sense) and saw this post. Don't despair, chica. Writing is thinking by another name. So, think big thoughts and stay hydrated.... :-)