Friday, August 10, 2007

Starting from scratch

I know you've been there. You're working on an idea, you've even got it vaguely sketched out in your head. It's a BIG IDEA, and it's daunting. And then you try to cobble it together quickly so you can get some feedback, figure out if you are going in the right direction...

...and you confuse everyone. They barely get it. It's frustrating.

That's where I am right now on the new pilot I'm writing. For some reason, I can't just write a simple little cop show or maybe a nice dramedy. No, I have to go EPIC. It has to be ginormous scope, and little me trying to rein it in, tackle it to the ground and make it do my bidding. I went through hell and back with the last one, and this one looks like it is going to be the same process. The only good news is I went through the wringer once, so at least I know what to expect.

Oh, and by the way this is the *third* pilot idea I've started in a month. The first one wasn't working, the second one was too similar to someone else's, so now here I am, third idea. I was saving this one back because I felt like I needed more time to envision it before putting it on paper.

Looks like I was right. Another high concept idea, comin' right up.

1 comment:

aggiebrett said...

Huh? Not the one I read?