Thursday, January 18, 2007

The new hot specs list

While not all of this season's crop of shows has had their fates decided, it's getting easier to read the tea leaves. I'm also hearing buzz about certain show specs from friends and industry contacts:

New 'hot' one-hour specs: (in order of perceived hotness)

Ugly Betty
Heroes
Dexter
Grey's Anatomy
The Closer
Criminal Minds
House
Brothers & Sisters

*This does not mean other shows cannot be specced. I'll be posting the revised hot specs list within a few weeks.

New 'hot' half-hour specs: (in order of perceived hotness)

The New Adventures of Old Christine
The Office
My Name is Earl
How I Met Your Mother
Scrubs
Two and a Half Men
Everybody Hates Chris (this has really fallen off since last year)

6 comments:

BernieSu said...

So when we gonna see your Grey's Anatomy Spec?

odocoileus said...

Good info.

Scrubs and 2 1/2 haven't gone stale?

And Grey's? Greys?! Maybe it's like a hot Krispy Kreme. You know it's not good for you, but you keep coming back anyway.

Shawna said...

The time you see a Grey's spec from me will be when Satan is lobbing snowballs from Hell.

And as for Scrubs/2.5 Men going stale...there are so few shows to spec in half hour land (forgot Weeds on my list) I think they are not preferred but still viable (hence bottom of the list).

Let's just say I wouldn't advise anyone to spec 'The Class' and '30 Rock' isn't a done deal yet...

Danny! said...

I'm pretty surprised to see Dexter make the cut, being so new and on Showtime.

Heroes is interesting - it's such a hot show, yet one would have to be super careful with this one because it is very non-episodic. The characters that you're writing about one week could be dead the next. Trust me, my half of the people in my Lost spec have bit the dust.

VERY happy to see Brothers & Sisters on that list. I think that may be my next spec.

Scribble94 said...

Have you seen Jane Espenson's post about how specs are dead and it's all about original samples now?

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Shawna! I just completed my Scrubs spec, and I was worried that it was going stale--or going away. Glad to hear that. Now, on to my Heroes spec...

- E.