Monday, May 15, 2006

2006 Upfronts: ABC Predictions

Since I've already discussed ABC's woes, I won't waste time on that here, so let's just jump in to what new shows have been reportedly picked up for next season:

  • Traveler
  • Brothers & Sisters
  • Day Break
  • Men in Trees
  • The Nine
  • Six Degrees
  • Ugly Betty
  • Big Day (half-hour)
  • Notes from the Underbelly(half-hour)
  • Let's Rob Mick Jagger (half-hour)
  • In Case of Emergency (half-hour)
  • Help Me Help You (half-hour)
ABC has a lot of work to do with their schedule, and I anticipate that I will be way off the mark, but you have to give me points for trying, so let's get cracking..

Sunday

The leading rumor for Sunday is that Grey's is moving out to make way for a new show. I'm going with that theory for the moment, so let's say that America's Home Videos, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, and Desperate Housewives stay put. What should they program at 10? Something soapy after DH makes, sense, so I'll guess that 'Brothers & Sisters' gets a shot here.

Monday

If Grey's is going to move anywhere, it will be 9 PM Monday, so I think Six Degrees could fill the 10 PM slot (or vice versa, Grey's could stay at 10). 8 PM should see a couple of sitcoms with my random guesses of 'Big Day' and 'Notes from the Underbelly' getting the 8 and 8:30 slots.

Tuesday

Boston Legal is a lock at 10 PM, so I see the possibility of 'In Case of Emergency' and 'Let's Rob Mick Jagger' going in at 8 and 8:30. A drama hour makes sense at 9, so let's take a stab with 'The Nine'.

Wednesday

Ugh, Lost is the only thing for sure here, at 9 PM. Expect 'Traveler' to follow at 10 PM (best fit I can come up with anyway). I'm at a loss about 8 and 9, though it is possible that George Lopez and one of the other sitcoms (maybe 'Help Me Help You'?) could be slotted in before Lost.

Thursday

I think ABC will go reality at 8 PM, Probably going with 'Dancing with the Stars' here. 'Day Break' could be a good 10 PM show, leaving 9 PM open. I'll throw in 'Ugly Betty' because it has to end up somewhere. (update: There's a new rumor that 'Desperate Housewives' or 'Lost' could be moving here -- we shall see).

Friday

Friday could end up being the rathole. 'Supernanny' should move back here at 8, followed by 'Wife Swap', which could get a rest at midseason by a couple of sitcoms at 9 and 9:30 ('In Case of Emergency', for one). 10 PM could play host to 'Men in Trees', but it could end up midseason too. I really have no idea.

Saturday

Saturday is the day that programming forgot, so ABC will stick with its deadly Saturday movie.

So, what's left over? 'What About Brian' got renewed and if it doesn't go in the fall will be held for midseason. 'The Bachelor' will probably return at midseason and no word yet on if 'American Inventor' will get another shot midseason next year.

So, ABC is the hardest to predict. They have an uphill battle, and I have to say, there are only 2 pilots I'm interested in -- 'Traveler' is good as is 'The Nine'. Someday I'll get around to reading 'Six Degrees' which is produced by J.J. Abrahms prodco...and you know how I worship at the altar of J.J., so I have to give it a shot.

Okay, see you bright and early tomorrow with the press release from ABC.

No comments: