Thursday, October 04, 2007

Irrational Anxiety

So far, I've had no luck with any of the contests I've entered specs in this year. Austin -- didn't even make it to the second round. Expo -- no dice. Scriptapalooza -- QF one script. PAGE -- nada.

It makes me incredibly nervous about ABC and WB, the two I really want to do well with (obviously). It's starting to make me wonder where I've gone wrong with these specs.

Yeah, yeah, I know. It's subjective. My scripts could be so brilliant they are blinding the readers to their brilliance. Or, maybe I'm just missing something...

Keeping my fingers crossed for the big 2 "contests" left...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed!

MaryAn Batchellor said...

It's not self doubt. It's self evaluation and good in healthy doses. Methinks, anyway.

Shawn said...

Take it with a grain of salt. I'm in the same position with my Rescue Me spec - it hasn't done squat in any of the contests, yet it has helped me land meetings and representation. Go figure.

Forget the contests and go straight to the professionals.

anotherfilmmaker said...

the contests are good, but they're not the end all be all of breaking into the biz. i've had so many friends land tv jobs by hustling and forming relationships with agents, that might be a better route to go, anyway...

Anonymous said...

Someone over at tvwriter.com said he got the call for an interview at WB today. I'm hoping they didn't make it to my name yet and went out for Friday happy hour instead? A girl can dream..
Yeah, these contests can make you crazy. They take your money but you're never sure if they read your script. The only way you know they read it is if you end up placing. Perhaps anotherfilmmaker is right, and we are all better off with actual connections and actual feedback.

Anonymous said...

I see a thread about WB calls for drama people over at donedealpro.com....

Josh said...

My partner and I have had roughly the same results with our scripts this summer. Nada for Austin, WB, Expo...and probably a few others I'm not thinking of.

Pilot made the quarters of PAGE, but no farther, and 2 specs made the WriteSafe finals.

Unfortunately no managers or agents beating down our door yet, but I'm still holding out hope on the big contests left.

Good luck.