Thursday, May 12, 2005

More on the Lost spec

Thanks all for the great feedback and advice. It's nice to know that there are at least a few folks willing to drop a line. :-)

So, the good news: my assignment is just a 10 page outline, which is due at the end of May. I'll have a good week or so after the last episode of the season airs to work out any conflicts.

The thing I have to keep reminding myself, especially with this show, is that it is VERY serialized. One episode usually leads into the next. They haven't really done anything that stands by itself. The key is to show in my writing that I a) understand the characters and the show and b) can write a decent story. I agree that I should get rid of any blatant contradictions or repetitions, but if I have Charlie playing his guitar (which is a big part of my spec, for example as I am basing it around that character), it is not important to scratch that stuff from my story. In fact, on further reflection, I feel that some of what was used in last night's episode reinforces pieces of the story I'm writing.

As for actually writing the spec, I'll be doing that over the summer after I complete the outline. UCLA Extension offers a 'writing the script' course which follows right after the outline writing course, so I plan to enroll in it. I know there is debate as to whether classes are really that valuable, but the #1 reason I'm taking the classes is for discipline. If I know I have an assignment due, I'll actually get it done. There's nothing like a deadline to motivate a procrastinator -- even if it is at the last minute. :-)

No comments: